The Cardinal Newman Society’s 7th annual Essay Scholarship Contest is open for submissions from high school seniors.
The winner of the annual Contest will be awarded $5,000 toward the cost of attending one of the institutions recommended in The Newman Guide. The scholarship is made possible thanks to the generosity of Joseph and Ann Guiffre, supporters of the Newman Society and faithful Catholic education.
Additionally, there is the opportunity for the winner of the Contest to be awarded $20,000 over the course of four years. Several of the Newman Guide colleges have agreed to supplement the Newman Society’s scholarship with additional $5,000 grants over three additional years. Learn which Newman Guide colleges have opted to supplement the Newman Society scholarship at this link.
Newman Guide Colleges Increase ‘Recruit Me’ Scholarship to $20,000
Several faithful Catholic colleges recognized by The Cardinal Newman Society have generously chosen to supplement the Society’s “Recruit Me” scholarship, potentially increasing the amount from $5,000 to $20,000 over four years.
The Newman Society’s annual Essay Scholarship Contest rewards a U.S. high school senior with a one-time $5,000 scholarship toward the cost of attending one of the colleges recommended in The Newman Guide. To be eligible, a student must sign up for Recruit Me, a program that invites Newman Guide colleges to compete for promising candidates.
High school seniors can submit their application and essay for the seventh annual Essay Scholarship Contest until February 20, 2023.
The winner will have the opportunity to be awarded $20,000 over the course of four years. Several of the Newman Guide colleges have agreed to supplement the Newman Society’s scholarship with additional $5,000 grants over three additional years. In order for the scholarship to continue, the student must be enrolled full-time and maintain satisfactory academic progress. Some of the colleges have additional requirements.
The following Newman Guide colleges have opted to supplement the Newman Society scholarship, should a winning student choose to attend their institution:
- Ave Maria University (Ave Maria, Fla.)
- Belmont Abbey College (Belmont, N.C.)
- Benedictine College (Atchison, Kan.)
- Campion College (Toongabbie East, NSW, Australia)
- Christendom College (Front Royal, Va.)
- Franciscan University of Steubenville (Steubenville, Ohio)
- Holy Angel University (Angeles City, Philippines)
- Holy Apostles (Cromwell, Conn.)
- John Paul the Great Catholic University (Escondido, Calif.)
- Magdalen College of the Liberal Arts (Warner, N.H.)
- Our Lady Seat of Wisdom College (Barry’s Bay, Ontario, Canada)
- The Thomas More College of Liberal Arts (Merrimack, N.H.)
- University of Dallas (Irving, Tex.)
- University of Mary (Bismarck, N.D.)
- University of St. Thomas (Houston, Tex.)
- Wyoming Catholic College (Lander, Wyo.)
The Newman Society’s $5,000 scholarship is made possible by the generosity of Joseph and Ann Guiffre, supporters of the Newman Society and faithful Catholic education. Supporters of the participating Newman Guide colleges have generously provided the funds for the supplemental awards.
The Newman Society encourages Catholic families to tell family and friends about the Essay Scholarship Contest and the value of faithful Catholic education. Questions about the Essay Scholarship Contest can be directed to Programs@CardinalNewmanSociety.org.