Fighting Irish finish strong at State Track Meet
Hard work, determination, and incredible coaching placed our Fighting Irish track team at the top of the pyramid at the 3A State Championship in Pearl, MS. With the lowest recorded temperature in Mississippi track and field state championship history and the highest wind speeds, you can imagine the Irish team showed up to battle the competition.
The road to the state championship is a tough and rigorous road that takes determination, dedication, and good coaching. Qualifying happens at four different levels to make it to the championship. The top four athletes progress on in each event and at each level. First, qualifications begin at the district level, then regionals, followed by south state and then finally the state championship. Congratulations to the following athletes for making St. Patrick proud and competing at the State Championship level:
- Varsity Girl’s Competition:
- Kendall Pitre: Gold medal: State Champion Girl’s Pole Vault
- Isabel Leatherman: Gold medal: State Champion 1600 meter, Silver medal: 3200 meter, Bronze medal: 800 meter
- Anna Claire Colson, Quinlan Pisciotta, Gabriella Patino, and Isabel Leatherman: Silver medal: 4 x 800 relay
- Gabriella Patino: Silver medal: 800 meter
- Jordan Pete: Bronze medal: 3200 meter
- Amelie Million: 3200 meter, 1600 meter
- Taylor Ibele: Girl’s Discus
- Olivia Leatherman: Girl’s Pole Vault
- Varsity Boy’s Competition
- Cade Meyers: Boy’s 3200 meter: *One of only three eighth grade boys in all 1A, 3A and 5A schools in the state to qualify for the championship in the 3200 meter run.