Math department to offer summer math workshops
The St. Patrick math department will offer five math workshops during the summer. Listed below is the schedule, cost, and description of each course.
|July 13||8-11 am||Algebra I Preparation||$60|
|July 13||12-2 pm||Algebra I Refresh||$40|
|July 14||8-11 am||ACT Math (Beginner)||$60|
|July 14||12-2 pm||ACT Math Refresh||$40|
|July 15||8-11 am||Algebra II Refresh||$60|
Description of above courses:
- Algebra I Preparation – This course is designed to teach some of the material that will be taught in Algebra I as well as review some of the important concepts from Pre-Algebra that are critical for understanding in higher level math classes. Students will sit through a lecture, note-taking, example type of environment. They will be given problems to demonstrate their understanding of the material that is presented during the workshop.
- Algebra I Refresh – This course is designed to reinforce some of the required objectives from Algebra I that are necessary for Geometry and Algebra II. Students will sit through a lecture, note-taking, example type of environment. They will be given problems to demonstrate their understanding of the material that is presented during the workshop.
- ACT Math for the Beginner – This workshop will be a slower pace of the material that is normally presented in the ACT Math workshop given here at St. Patrick. Students will be given rules, tips and strategies for performing well on the ACT. Also, understand that beginners might not have learned all of the material that will be on the ACT, therefore, concepts will be taught that they haven’t see yet.
- ACT Math Refresh – This is the math workshop that is offered here at St. Patrick 1-2 times during the school year. It is a refresher on rules, concepts and language that students might have forgotten over the years. It is meant for students in Algebra II or higher. There will be approximately 70 problems completed during the workshop and a practice test given to students to take at home with a key and solutions.
- Algebra II Refresh – This course is meant for students exiting Algebra II that feel a desire to gain confidence on some of the material that is used in higher level math classes, i.e. Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus and Calculus. Students will be lead by instruction through rules, processes and thinking that are necessary to have mastered for these higher level classes. Practice work will be given as well.
To register, contact Mrs. Tavel. Checks should be made payable to St. Patrick Catholic High School. Registration will be on a first-come, first-serve basis. There must be a minimum of ten students per workshop.